Monday, March 9, 2009

Don Skinner

My friend Don died last Friday morning suddenly and without warning. I'm still in disbelief even though the funeral and burial is over. He was smart, funny and he treated me and my wife Nancy like we were special. We were born only 9 days apart but only knew each other for about 12 years. He was a member of our church, Harvest Baptist Salisbury, MD. He loved Jesus and studied his Bible, he was our church clerk, a caring greeter and did anything he could to help. He was a talented, artistic, architect by profession. To say Don was an avid bicyclist would be a severe understatement. He rode his bike in cold and heat, rain and snow and when he could not ride because of a broken shoulder he got when he ran his bike into the side of an SUV he rode a stationary bike in his garage. That kind of upset his wife Bridget but she understood his passion and gave him a pass. Don ended his streak on February 26 since he died before he got out of his house on the February 27, 2009. He actually rode for 4,275 consecutive days and kept a meticulous cycling journal. There are a lot of memories that I have about Don but his death affected me in a way that no other has until now. He made me realize that I have left behind a lot of the dreams and ideas of my youth. I want to concentrate my efforts on living this life in a way that honors my wife and my God. Its time to settle down and stop letting my life lead me instead of the other way around. I have a tendency to just react to what life throws my way, instead of planning and acting to improve our everyday life and I really want that to change. Our business wears me out sometimes and we seriously need a vacation. I have allowed other demands on my life to keep me from doing the simplest of things to take care of myself and my wife. My friend has died but now looking back, his passion for life and riding encourages me to want to be a better person, to love with passion and to pursue life with a vengeance. Thanks Don, I'm going to miss you. Please say hi to Jim Dean, Miss Bobbie and Miss Molly for us and we will keep an eye on your bride Bridget for you.

1 comment:

PastaKeith said...

He will indeed be missed! I only knew Don a short while, and while I did not experience these realities about him as deeply as you did, I can identify and say "yes" to every thing you say about him here.

Ultimately, people are not 'replaceable." Mobile phones, razors, and cars... yes. People? No.

But... we thank God for the inspiration He was to us in Don, and the way this man's life can spur us on to excellence through humility, passion, and dedication.

Good Word, Pop-Pop!

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Born in '57, husband since '78, Dad since '79, pop-pop since '06, business owner since '88, Christian since '82, and blogger for 15 minutes. Member of Harvest Baptist Church, Salisbury, MD since 1997, Affiliate Member Delaware Association of Surveyors, Affiliate Member Maryland Society of Surveyors,Member ABC Chesapeake Chapter, member IRgA & RSA. I sometimes obsess about my weight but never do anything about it except maybe walk to the kitchen for a bowl of ice cream (you're no alone, even I think it's stange behavior). Conservative, Reagan Democrat (currently a Republican but I have a healthy distrust for both parties) Pro-Life, Pro-Traditional Family, I believe that being an great American means that you give away more than you take away. I am repulsed when I hear people drop the "F-bomb" in public. When I am very tired I get irritable and/or resentful and it does not reflect the love of God that he has shown to me or the person I want to be. I know, too much information...