Sunday, June 26, 2011

Thomas Keith Beckley
May 10, 1963 - February 26, 2005


There are special seasons in our lives that transform us to the point that we act differently.

I’ve know people who went on a mission trip to a third world country and their heart has been changed permanently regarding the deep needs of the poor and those without Christ.

In 1979 Nancy was pregnant with our first son Joey. Along with witnessing the most unusual craving for Watermelon I’ve ever heard of, I also got to watch my son doing what looked like somersaults in his mom’s belly. Everything changed after that. My whole outlook on life changed and I was a different person because of it.

Early in 2003 we contacted Dick Stephens of Del Tech to help us find a repair technician. Dick tried to get us someone that would be a good fit for our company. Finally, in strolled, a short, but confident man whom I had never seen before. After looking over his resume the thing that struck me most was not his very impressive, experience doing electronics repair while he served in the Navy. It wasn’t the fact that he was just completing a difficult, degree in electronics. No, all I could focus on was his address. You see he lived on Remington Way and after a little probing I confirmed my suspicion. This guy was my back door neighbor. No, not some neighbor hood neighbor. His property joins mine.

Thomas did graduate that May and started full time and quickly put us all in our place. He set up shop the way he needed it. He not only took his manager Andrew’s good hearted jabs but Andrew had finally found a technician that could jab back. A lot of good hearted humor filled that place as well as productivity and organization that in the past I could only dream about. We were a match made in heaven. Truly.

On December 11, 2003 Thomas gave me the word that all the medical tests he had been going through confirmed a form of cancer that I had never heard of. As the radiation started so did the prayers. And Cindy, well she became our line of communication through every step of the way. She updated us with phone calls and left me voice messages so I could pass information along to all Tom’s fellow workers. She stayed strong and brave like nothing I ever witnessed and I thank you Cindy for keeping us in the circle of your close friends it has been an honor.

When I went to visit Thomas I was often a little hesitant for fear of how he would look. I would always brace myself before walking into his room. As soon as he would see me he would say, “John, come on in here. How are you my friend?” I would always shake his hand and say “Thomas, hello my brother” and his comment would be, “your hands are still cold” to which I would then apologize and we would get on with our visit. So it went each time. He was always gracious and considerate of me, my family and my time. He would never ask for help to move about and he wouldn’t take it if you offered. He was fiercely independent.

In an effort to be gracious while saying he did not agree with some ones opinion he once said thoughtfully, “peoples opinions are…well…theirs.”

During some of those visits when we weren’t talking about work, politics or the bible Thomas would share with me about his faith in Christ for his salvation. He told me how as a young man his youth pastor played chess and he spent time with Thomas doing just that and how that relationship was what gave Tom the opportunity to learn about and to accept Christ into his life. He also told me that he was looking so forward to being in the presence of his Father, his Lord, and his Savior. Some things I don’t know about Thomas and I guess I never will but I did learn this: That he loved Cindy, he loved his God and he loved his country.

After Cindy called me to tell me that Thomas had passed I walked over to their house to see her. After seeing Tom and talking to Cindy and Lois I was walking back to my house and that’s when if finally hit me. He always called me friend.

"A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity."

"A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother."

I had the privilege to be both friend and brother to Thomas.

Cindy, thank you for the opportunity to share my thoughts here today.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Born in '57, husband since '78, Dad since '79, pop-pop since '06, business owner since '88, Christian since '82, and blogger for 15 minutes. Member of Harvest Baptist Church, Salisbury, MD since 1997, Affiliate Member Delaware Association of Surveyors, Affiliate Member Maryland Society of Surveyors,Member ABC Chesapeake Chapter, member IRgA & RSA. I sometimes obsess about my weight but never do anything about it except maybe walk to the kitchen for a bowl of ice cream (you're no alone, even I think it's stange behavior). Conservative, Reagan Democrat (currently a Republican but I have a healthy distrust for both parties) Pro-Life, Pro-Traditional Family, I believe that being an great American means that you give away more than you take away. I am repulsed when I hear people drop the "F-bomb" in public. When I am very tired I get irritable and/or resentful and it does not reflect the love of God that he has shown to me or the person I want to be. I know, too much information...